ABOUT THE JEWISH COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Individuals can make a difference; together we change the world. This is the Jewish Community Foundation’s (JCF) core belief. The JCF combines donor-driven philanthropy, investing and education for maximum benefit in the community. JCF develops and manages philanthropic vehicles and assets, including donor-advised funds, endowments, and organizational funds. A philanthropic innovator, the JCF is a leading community foundation in offering impact investment opportunities to its donors. JCF is also renowned nationally for its Endowment Leadership Institute, a model that has been replicated across the country.
Over the past 50 years, the JCF has granted around $1.8 billion to 7,000+ organizations on behalf of more than 1,000 donors, making it the largest grantor in San Diego. Nearly $1 billion of these funds have assisted organizations in our immediate community; close to $500 million has supported Jewish causes.
OVERVIEW OF THE JOB:
This is a full-time exempt position within the Jewish Community Foundation of San Diego’s Finance Team, a group of experienced and tenured professionals dedicated to providing excellent service to donors, grantee organizations, staff and professional advisors by maintaining the highest level of clearly stated, timely and accurate financial records, reports and analytics which meet GAAP and IRS requirements. The JCF and our Finance Team value collaboration, innovation, professionalism and esprit de corps. The Finance Team currently includes a Chief Financial Officer, Director of Finance, Senior Accountant, Financial Analyst and Grants Officers.
• Ensures all cash receipts or electronic collections have been properly processed and recorded. This includes handling bank deposits and recording accounting entries to the General Ledger.
• Assists in processing donations received by the Foundation according to approved gift acceptance policies and IRS regulations.
• Processes security donations, interfaces with donors and brokers to transfer securities, directs sales of securities, monitors receipt of proceeds and enters into the General Ledger.
• Acts as central contact point for all issues and questions relating to donations.
• Processes all received invoices for payment, including verifying amounts for accuracy, confirming approval by appropriate personnel, printing checks, and obtaining signatures.
• Assists in the development, implementation, and modification of accounting policies and procedures.
• Assists with proofing and distribution of quarterly and annual fund statements.
• Assists in month-end closing process, general ledger entries and reconciliations.
• Provides support for audit preparation and annual tax filings.
• Prepares ad hoc financial reports and analysis as requested by staff and donors.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
In our work to advance diversity, equity and inclusion at the JCF and in our community, we have learned that historical biases in hiring may lead to fewer applications from women, LGBTQ+ people, and Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and other marginalized groups who decide not to apply due to a false perception that they must meet all of the qualifications. We encourage applicants to apply even if they do not meet 100% of the qualifications.
• 3 – 5 years of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, or general accounting experience preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field preferred but not required.
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
• Nonprofit accounting experience a plus
• Experience with fund accounting and integrated accounting systems; SalesForce products a plus but not required.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel
• Comfortable and competent with technology and eager to learn new systems and processes.
• Attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple ongoing activities.
• Excellent customer service skills
• We anticipate that once onboarded, this position will be eligible for a hybrid office/work from home schedule.
• Reports to Director of Finance
• Supports Finance department for administrative, accounting and investment management projects.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.