Tikkun Olam, repair the world. There is a great need for this now as our country begins to see how racism has lived from the founding of our country until this very moment. Librarian and educator Nancy Kraus, will help you choose which resources might be right for you to help educate yourself on the history of racism in our country as well as to engage in self-examination. She will give brief summaries of eight books to help you make choices that are best for your own reading.
One of our goals as a group at this event will be to select a book to discuss at a future date from this list.
The following books will be presented:
- Kendi, Ibram, Stamped from the Beginning, The Definitive History of Each Racist Ideas in America
- Kendi, Ibram and Reynolds, Jason, Stamped
- Wilkerson, Isabel, The Warmth of Other Suns, The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration
- Kendi, Ibram, How to Be an AntiRacist
- Oluo, Ijeoma, So You Want To Talk About Race
- DiAngelo, Robin, White Fragility
- Saad, Layla, Me and White Supremacy
- Treuer, David, The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee, Native America from 1890 to the Present
Some additional online resources will be mentioned with links.
About the facilitator: Nancy Kraus is a children’s librarian, artist, and Jewish educator who has had a passion for promoting antiracism through education and actions her whole adult life. An avid reader, she has given talks at libraries and her synagogue about new books which help readers take a hard look at racism. Nancy is eager to share the heart of several new books which can help listeners choose which books they might like to read to help them get up to speed on how our society got to where it is now. Before she became a librarian she worked as a teacher in African and Native American neighborhoods in Chicago, Baltimore, New York City, and Minneapolis. Nancy’s sister-in-law, Renee Barnow, is a member of our congregation.
There is no fee, but please RSVP for planning purposes. This event is held virtually on Zoom. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the event.