JOB TITLE: Breaking Down Barriers Outreach Coordinator, Middle Eastern community
POSITION TYPE: Half-time (18.75 hours per week) position available
SALARY RANGE: $19-21/hour
BENEFITS: 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life
insurance and generous holiday benefits are available for positions that work 30 or more hours.
The Outreach Coordinator for the Middle Eastern community will facilitate outreach activities for the Breaking Down Barriers program. In consultation with the Program Supervisor, this position is responsible for creating and delivering presentations that are culturally responsive and specific to the Middle Eastern community in order to reduce mental health stigma. Cultural awareness and demonstrated understanding of Middle Eastern communities is required.
Breaking Down Barriers is a County-funded prevention and early intervention program. It is an outreach program that works with underserved communities to talk about mental wellness. Through educational presentations and events, we discuss the stigma of mental health and connect participants to helpful resources. We also do cultural competency training to community members who work with these diverse populations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assess community assets to develop community presentations to help reduce mental health stigma among Middle Eastern communities
• Create educational presentations and activities focused on promoting mental wellness, highlighting community strengths, addressing historical trauma and sharing resources
• Develop educational material for both Middle Eastern community members and/or providers serving these communities (e.g. cultural sensitivity trainings)
• Facilitate constructive, educational, and strengths-based discussions about mental illness
• Supervise volunteers and coordinate presentation schedules on a weekly basis
• Coordinate outreach and engagement among cultural organizations, community members, and local gathering venues
• Evaluate the need for additional resources and assist staff in making referrals for mental health treatment or other necessary supports to encourage overall wellness
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
• Cultural Awareness and understanding of Middle Eastern communities
• Comfort working in an environment where multiple languages are spoken
• Bilingual required when spoken in the targeted community
• Sensitivity to cultural differences present in the organization’s/program’s service population
• Bachelor’s degree in a human services field preferred
• Must pass pre-employment background check(s)
• Must have experience working with cultural and community organizations within the previous five years and can establish immediate rapport with Middle Eastern communities and trusted community partners
• Ability to deal with complex problems involving several variables
• Comfort with building a new program, and developing and trying new ideas
• Reliable, self-starter, detail-oriented and initiates hard-work without being prompted
• Must be available to work evenings and possibly weekends
• Comfort with public speaking and presenting to groups
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 0-2 years of experience.