Position Title: Legal Intake and Referral Coordinator
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt
Benefits: Benefits for this position include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and generous holiday benefits.
Jewish Family Service of San Diego (JFS) is a core partner of the San Diego Rapid Response Network (Network), a group of 40+ immigrant rights and social service organizations, attorneys and community leaders who educate, protect and assist immigrant individuals and families – including refugees and asylum seekers – with legal support and social services. JFS coordinates the legal services for the Network. The Legal Intake & Referral Coordinator will be responsible for fielding calls coming through the JFS Immigration Help Line and conducting legal screenings for individuals in need of immigration assistance. Under the leadership of the Supervising Immigration Attorney, the Coordinator will also communicate with other local immigration service providers to facilitate on-going representation for referrals coming through the Network.
1. Field calls coming through the JFS Immigration Help Line;
2. Conduct immigration legal screenings for individuals and families referred to the JFS Immigration Department;
3. Regularly communicate with local immigration service providers to determine capacity and ability to accept immigration referrals;
4. Communicate with local immigration service providers to facilitate referrals on behalf of the San Diego Rapid Response Network;
5. Assess and conduct Emergency Planning & Safety Preparedness sessions for individuals and families vulnerable to immigration enforcement and removal;
6. Manage and coordinate caseload of active cases in need of legal representation;
7. Assist Immigration Legal Team in preparation of immigration filings, applications, and other legal documents;
8. Coordinate and document client communications.
9. Stay up to date on rapidly changing immigration laws and policies;
10. Comply with data and program reporting requirements.
Skills/Abilities that are a Must-Have:
• Bilingual English/Spanish;
• Excellent ability to prioritize, multi-task and organize in a fast paced and fluid environment;
• Meticulous attention to detail and self-directed
• Strong oral and written communication skills in English
• Outstanding relational skills and a demonstrated cross-cultural understanding and success;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, listening skills and attitude;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required;
• Ability to work both independently and in a group setting;
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate productively and efficiently
• Proficient in Microsoft software including Excel, Word, and Outlook;
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends;
• Valid driver’s license, access to an automobile, insurance, and willingness to drive to off-site locations;
• Passion for social justice for immigrants required.
Skills/Abilities we’d like you to Have:
• Experience working with immigrant populations;
• Experience working with marginalized populations and survivors of trauma;
• Dedication to serving immigrant communities with a sincere commitment to working on behalf of low-income immigrants;
• Experience in interorganizational collaboration and communication.
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter including salary requirements, and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For nearly 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
Qualifications: Associate's Degree and 0-2 years of experience.