Director of Leadership and Talent Development
Chief Planning and Strategy Officer
The Jewish Federation of San Diego County (JFSD) is seeking an experienced and dynamic professional to join our team as the Director of Leadership and Talent Development.
For more than 85 years Federation has worked to create a vibrant, caring, connected and enduring Jewish Community by strengthening Jewish identity, caring for Jews in need and fostering deep connections with Israel and Jews around the world. San Diego County is home to more than 100,000 Jews, in about 50,000 households. We are a thriving, vibrant, multi-faceted Jewish community of more than 100 Jewish communal organizations. More information about Jewish San Diego is available on our website, www.jewishinsandiego.org. Federation staff are passionate about community building, highly collaborative and always learning. We bring a wide range of experiences and backgrounds to our work and welcome all applicants for this dynamic position.
As the Director, you will play a critical role in developing the volunteer and professional leadership capabilities within the Jewish community. Your work will focus on both Jewish communal professionals, as well as current and potential volunteers, board members and other lay leaders within Federation as well as throughout the Jewish community. You will design, implement, and manage comprehensive leadership development programs, talent management initiatives, and planning strategies to enhance our professional, board and lay leadership pipeline at Federation and throughout the community. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of leadership development methodologies, talent management practices, and a passion for fostering a culture of continuous learning and professional growth.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Leadership and Talent Development will implement and further advance a comprehensive communal plan for leadership and talent development. The Director’s role will consist of strategic planning, program design, group facilitation, grantmaking and evaluation. While the Director will lead this work, he/she/they will be augmented and supported by other Federation staff and through partnerships.
Core roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive leadership development strategy aligned with the organization's goals and objectives.
- Implement and oversee the delivery of leadership development programs, including workshops, seminars, coaching, and mentoring, to enhance leadership skills and capabilities at all levels of the organization and in the community.
- Design and manage a grants program to incentivize and support leadership development among Jewish institutions.
- Establish metrics and evaluation mechanisms to assess the effectiveness and impact of leadership and talent development initiatives, making data-driven decisions to improve program outcomes.
- Collaborate with senior management to identify critical talent needs, develop recruitment strategies, and implement retention initiatives to attract, engage, and retain top talent.
- Build and maintain relationships with communal organizations, leaders, and professional associations to stay abreast of industry trends and best practices in leadership and talent development.
- Develop and manage program budget, ensuring efficient allocation of resources and adherence to financial guidelines.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
- Proven experience in leadership development, talent management, or a similar role, with a track record of successfully designing and implementing programs that drive organizational performance.
- Strong understanding of leadership development methodologies, talent assessment tools, and best practices in performance management.
- Exceptional leadership and coaching abilities, with the capacity to inspire and motivate others.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to use data to drive decision-making and measure program effectiveness.
- Demonstrated project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Relevant certifications such as Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP) or Certified Strength Coach are advantageous.
- Knowledge of Jewish customs and community.
Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Leadership, Organizational Development, Business Administration, or a related field. Master's degree preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND EQUIPMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee must have the ability to travel and work weekends and evenings when needed (if applicable). This position is required to work onsite (with/ without the ability to work from home on most Fridays).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time position, working onsite in San Diego, CA, with the ability to work from home on most Fridays.
Compensation range: $75-95,000 per year, with a generous benefits plan, retirement plan and comprehensive paid sick leave, vacation and 22 paid holidays per year.
Jewish Federation of San Diego County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veterans’ status or any other protected category. Relocation assistance is not offered for this position. All qualified candidates must be able to provide proof of their ability to work in the United States without support. All candidates will be required to successfully complete a background check prior to beginning work at JFSD.
Interested candidates should provide a cover letter and a detailed resume to email@example.com.